North America’s oil & gas industry saw a drop of 42.7 percent in overall deal activity during Q2 2020, when compared to the four-quarter average, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
A total of 161 deals worth $11.04bn were announced for the region during Q2 2020, against the last four-quarter average of 281 deals.
Of all the deal types, M&A saw the most activity in Q2 2020 with 105, representing a 65.2 percent share for the region.
In second place was venture financing with 46 deals, followed by private equity deals with ten transactions, respectively capturing a 28.6 and 6.2 percent share of the overall deal activity for the quarter.
In terms of the value of deals, M&A was the leading category in North America’s oil & gas industry with $7.31bn, while private equity and venture financing deals totaled $2.81bn and $920.77m, respectively.
North America oil & gas industry deals in Q2 2020: Top deals
The top five oil & gas deals accounted for 73.3 percent of the overall value during Q2 2020.
The combined value of the top five oil & gas deals stood at $8.09bn, against the overall value of $11.04bn recorded for the quarter.
The top five oil & gas industry deals of Q2 2020 tracked by GlobalData were:
- Ineos Group’s $5bn asset transaction with BP
- The $1.4bn private equity deal with CenterPoint Energy by Bluescape Energy Partners, Elliott Management and Fidelity Management & Research
- Apollo Global Management, Double Eagle Energy Holdings, FourPoint Energy, Magnetar Capital and Quantum Energy Partners’ $750m private equity deal with DoublePoint Energy
- The $541m asset transaction with Royal Dutch Shell by National Fuel Gas
- TPG Sixth Street Partners’ acquisition of Antero Resources for $402m.
Oil and gas operations are commonly found in remote locations far from company headquarters. Now, it's possible to monitor pump operations, collate and analyze seismic data, and track employees around the world from almost anywhere. Whether employees are in the office or in the field, the internet and related applications enable a greater multidirectional flow of information – and control – than ever before.
Subscribe to OILMAN Today, our industry newsletter covering oil and gas business news, events, information and trends shaping the market, delivered to your inbox.